Been sicky for the past few days, so not much has been accomplished. However, before getting sick, I’d broken 11k on Alpha Female. And, yes, I’m admitting it — this is kind of a rewrite/edit/revision. Because I’m basically doing everything at once so I can send it to critters once the “draft” is done. I say “draft” because I’m not really sure what to call it.
That’s my crazy process for you. It took me two false starts to get it right. Put me behind, but I’m doing okay. I’m not really worried. I guess I’ll start worrying in two weeks when I need to have it done.
I’ve been doing alot of thinking about future projects. I’m definitely going to take another whack at Pirouette once Alpha Female is done and submitted. That’s the top priority. Next, the big question is, do I want to do a mini-NaNoWriMo in November? I can’t do the full NaNo anymore (50 in 30 days) because of my wrists, but I’ve had some success with doing a 25k “mini-Nano.” I’m tempted to start a new novel. It’s one that’s been patiently waiting for oh….I want to say at least 5 years. It was going to be my 2006 NaNo novel but I changed my mind at the last minute. The story has been haunting me for five years. A lot of it has changed — for example, the main characters were all vampires (“vampira”) and now they will most likely be a type of Dark Fae. A few days ago, the phrase “a battlefield of souls” popped into my mind, and at first, it felt like a seedling of a new idea, but when I probed it deeper, I discovered that it could work with this novel, which is called Darkweaver. A few weeks to a month ago, the first line — hell, the first damn page — came to me, again out of nowhere. At work, no less. I was even going to type it up before I forgot (I haven’t). So it’s been really strong in my head. Muse says it’s about damn time. I’m trying to wait, because I have three unfinished projects that need to get done. But then again, what would 25k hurt? Of course, it’ll take another month of work out of the equation, and will leave me with a hanging manuscript, but I just don’t know. I’m completely and utterly torn. Broken could use another 25k (it’s sitting at 12k at the moment). Flamebound needs a revision and most likely a rewrite.
How does one choose? Lately I’ve been going according to one, the market (which I heard isn’t the way to go, but hey — I don’t want the paranormal market to die while Pirouette sits for another 5 years) and where the project is in the process. I’ve been making a conscious effort to finish my unfinished projects and get them submitted. So far, Pirouette’s 3rd draft got done last year, and Survivor’s first draft last year as well. Speaking of Survivor, there’s another one that’s haunting me. It needs a rewrite. I am toying with the idea of making it a trilogy. Again, market considerations. And the sheer time would be massive. So that one is probably going to have to wait, probably until I sell something.
What to do, what to do? There’s just not enough time anymore, you know?
Soooooo I guess we’ll see what happens. I’ll decide….later.